The vitality of a nation depends on its ability to regulate itself economically. The well-being of the economy is a reflection of the quality and quantity of people’s biological work function. Since armored humans have a disturbance in their work function in varying types and degrees, the ability for self regulation of the nation’s economy must become dysfunctional. A sign of the worsening in their emotional health in today’s anti-authoritarian society is the decline in the quality and quantity of people’s capacity to work . The degradation of the American economy is a direct result.
Some of the signs of the degradation in the work function are seen in the following manifestations of social pathology:
1) The increase in the number of people’s economic helplessness, those who depend on the government for their survival. This is done either directly in the form of handouts of welfare checks or indirectly through the unionism of the public sector.
2) The rising power of unions over workers’ lives.
3) The increasing sense of public entitlement, expecting something from the government in all segments of society, from individuals to giant corporations.
4) The application of affirmative action rules in the workplace.
5) Irresponsible and fraudulent credit practices by business and government leaders resulting in the erosion of public trust in the marketplace and in financial institutions such as banks.
In response to the economic troubles, the government steps in to “do something” by passing laws in the form of spending, including bail-out and regulatory legislation, none of which has anything whatsoever to do with the underlying source of the economic problems. Self regulation in the private sector is replaced by compulsive regulation from the public sector. These politicians are incapable of admitting that they have no solution to improve social conditions. Others who are more realistic know that they have nothing better to offer except to cut back on the government’s involvement in trying to fix things. This is the only possible rational solution considering the general lack of understanding of the biological work function.